Let's Chat About Model Maintenance Tips

Yes, very good tips.

Great tips. I used the procedural calculations process and did see improvement in report opening times.

2 Likes

That is a fantastic idea! I am going to steal this :slight_smile:

Is there a list that we can copy? Or I’ll go to the five challenges again to make sure I record them correctly! Thanks!

During our implementation process, our consultant set up a process that is scheduled to run every day in the middle of the night. This process removes the 0’s and optimizes the fact table which were a couple of things listed on the Model Maintenance channel.

2 Likes

Cleaning clutter (unused versions, calculated accounts) have helped us a lot!

1 Like

making things work faster is what I aim for.

When possible, use simple formulas to speedup template calculations

We utilize so many named sets that it is a monthly necessity to keep them up to date. After hours and disabling users are great ideas for ensuring your maintenance is not disruptive.

Another useful tip is creating security groups, rather than configuring each individual’s security.

1 Like

Is there a link available to see this article?

thank you for all tips I see on this thread!

1 Like

Hi Laurie - under Activities (near the top of your screen) you will see a channel called Model Maintenance. There are a handful of tips contained within.

1 Like

Thanks for the tips! If you would be adding any more in the future, I would be curious about the best way to delete an old cube that is no longer used. We have a couple of cubes that were created for a specific purpose that are no longer needed. However, I’m afraid to delete them and lose any data as these share dimensions with another cube that is still in use.

Valeria, when you delete a cube, it removes the connection to the shared dimensions but leaves the dimension and the data in tact.

I’ve done this many times, so I’m confident in this feature. I often create cubes with shared dimensions to existing cubes to make use of the same data while trying out other designs in the prototype cube. Then I delete the prototype cube, and the other cubes sharing the dimension remain working unaffected.

I’ve also used shared dimensions when I need to modify the structure of a cube. As you probably know, you can’t modify the structure of a cube. So I create a new cube sharing the dimensions I need and adding or removing the dimensions I need to add or remove. That’s a way I can keep the data structures for the cubes I keep without having to reimport, etc.

Point being—you can remove the old cubes safely; the data and hierarchy definitions in the shared dimensions will remain in place for the other cubes.

Of course, data pertaining only to that cube will be removed. So if you need that data for any reason, you’ll want to export it first.

3 Likes

We have the remove Zeros and Optimize set up as a routine scheduled task, that runs in the middle of teh night - it keeps our DB under control. On an annual basis I clean up versions, to keep that in check.

Yes, groups is a big time saver and makes maintenance of not just security but workflow. Using groups will “auto-magically” update associated workflow tasks assigned to a group.

Thank you for sharing your experience! After reading your post I went ahead and deleted our old cubes. The shared dimensions and data I wanted to keep were unaffected, and now Model Manager feels less cluttered. I like the use cases you shared and will keep them in mind for the future as it is hard to get a cube 100% right the first time!

2 Likes

Great tips - we have the optimize process scheduled to run each night.

1 Like

Thanks for the tips. Named sets have been a game changer for me. Prior to Prophix every period change was a new build for me, but now to utilise named sets effectively and just have to update the relevant ones in one place monthly/annually and to then see all our data views and reports refresh accordingly is fantastic

Great tips, have been using most of these since implementation, but the optimize process was added most recently during a maintenance call a couple years ago.

2 Likes