June 2020 Product Adoption Tip: Customize Worksheet Name When Saving to Excel

If you’ve ever downloaded multiple pages from a Prophix report into Excel you may have noticed the default settings when downloading to Excel is to label different worksheets as Sheet 1/Sheet 2/Sheet 3 and so on. This can irritate end-users who would prefer worksheets to be labelled with relevant descriptions. The easy solution is to automatically customize naming for each worksheet when saving to Excel. Note, this option needs to be selected for each report individually.

To customize worksheet name:

1. Open any template in Design mode and select Options.

1. Select ‘Save as Excel’ tab and when you scroll down you need to ensure the Customize Worksheet naming is turned on. If turned on, select the pencil icon to define names for worksheets, by adding Auto Text elements that provide your own text, the file name, or the name and key of the current member of a page dimension or a page hierarchy group.

Let us know if you’ve tried it out or you think this will help!

Just updated some of my forecasting templates using this suggestion. I always had this issue since there are multiple sheets and all get names like 1, 2 and so on

1 Like

I have done this a few times. I do like being able to do this

This is a really nice feature. We use it quite often.

I have used this before, but this is a nice reminder of a helpful feature, thank you!

We have been using the function for our reports. Very nice feature.

This is very helpful!

I find the automatic naming of sheets annoying as well (my OCD I guess :slight_smile: ) Thank you for this great tip!

This is a great feature for scalable templates with multiple entities/departments.

Thank you for the tip. Very helpful!

Such a awesome feature. Especially when there are 20 plus sheets

Wow - can’t believe I didn’t know about this feature till now!

I use this a ton and it is very useful!!!

Use this a lot to display “keys” for easier and manageable tabs in excel.

use this heavily! Great tip!

This was new to me - will definitely put this into practice. very helpful!

This is great. I’m glad to learn this. I will use often.

We utilize this and it is very helpful!

I did this for the templates that are included in out sr. mgmt report binder. The end users love it!

2 Likes

This is very helpful, thank you.

1 Like