Dynamic Named Sets

Where can I get more information on creating dynamic named sets with MDX formulas. Is there a specific tutorial on this. I see some videos that touch on it but I would like to get more in depth. One thing I would like to do is generate a Top 10 Customer list but I don’t want to limit the discussion to this because the more I learn the more I see other uses.

Hi Stephen,

The CEWS series is one of the places that would be able to assist on this. You can access all the sessions and sign-up for more at prophix.com >> Customers >> Customer Empowerment Webinar Series.

The session ‘Reframe the Usual – ​Non Financial Use Cases Part II’ held on May 27, 2020 touches upon MDX formulas. And in fact, there is an example of a Top 10 list that might meet your specific requirement in this instance, besides providing syntax, etc.

Hope this helps,
Navin

5 Likes

Thanks, @navin.sadarangani.1! @stephen.ernst, you can find the recorded webinars from 2020 here: https://info.prophix.com/2020-cews-recordings.

1 Like

This is highly technical but I find it helpful.

https://www.fing.edu.uy/inco/grupos/csi/esp/Cursos/cursos_act/2005/DAP_SistDW/Material/2-SDW-Laboratorio1-2005.pdf

Thanks Bob, that was very helpful. I was able to write the formula and get the required results.

2 Likes

Hi @stephen.ernst there was a webinar back in 2016 on MDX you can check it out too.

A HOW TO GUIDE: PROPHIX & MDX
WEDNESDAY, JUNE 29
Note: This webinar is well suited for advanced users of Prophix

MDX (Multi-Dimensional Expression) is a query language in SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS) that can be used to model calculations. It is another calculation and modeling technique in your tool kit, that can be used in Prophix to help manage the business.

This webinar will help showcase features and functions that you may not be aware of in Prophix related to MDX and when it makes sense to create these calculations in your Prophix solution.

Some of the areas that will be covered include:

• Commonly used MDX

• Where can you use MDX (I.e. versions, named sets, accounts)

• When to use MDX

• Performance implications to consider

1 Like

@aakash.jhaveri

This video shows as unavailable and private. Is it posted anywhere else?

Anyway this video can be viewed today?

Hi Monte @monte.southwell ,

Here’s another recording from 2019, that talks about MDX. I was one of the presenters in this and I had covered MDX, including some commonly used MDX use cases.

Feel free to let me know if you have any questions / need more info.

Cheers,
Navin

2 Likes

Thanks Navin! I will watch it today!

2 Likes