April 2021 Product Adoption Tip: Spring Cleaning - Declutter Your Document Explorer

A clean and clear workspace leads to fewer distractions and time savings when searching for documents and files. Clutter can also affect our general mental health, making us feel stressed, anxious, or depressed. Research has shown, the levels of the stress hormone cortisol were higher in those whose home environments were cluttered; elevated cortisol levels sustained over time can lead to anxiety and depression.

Let me show you how we can tidy up in Prophix!

Document Explorer Recap

Document Explorer is where you would manage your Prophix documents. For most users, it is split into four main sections:

1. Recent Files – the latest documents that you have worked on
  2. My Documents – your private file space
  3. Public – a shared file space, where you can access files and folders by other users in the organization
  4. Process Files – external files for importing or exporting data into Prophix
    Note: applies to Admin or Advanced users
  5. My Favorites – quick access to files that are marked as your favorites

Step 1: Create a temporary space

Create a temporary folder that will hold your current folder structure. This will enable you to start with a clean canvas.

1. Created a folder called “zArchive”. Why the “z” in front? When we start organizing, we want the folder to be out of the way and remain at the bottom of the tree.
  2. Move all files and folders into “zArchive”

Step 2: Folder Structures

Applying a consistent folder logic structure will enable you and your colleagues to easily find files within Prophix.

Option 1 – by file type
Organize folders by file types within Prophix (i.e. Processes, Reports, Templates, Workflow, etc.)
Note: Data Views could be saved within each Parent folder or stored through a central folder. For either method, I recommend that you save your files with unique names for searchability (see Step 3).

Option 2 – by use cases
Through working with countless customers, a common approach to organizing reports and processes is also by use case. For instance, an organization will separate their budget templates from their forecasting templates. This enables administrative users to easily manage, and maintain their Prophix instance while giving them peace of mind!

My Documents

Process Files

Step 3: Folder & File Nomenclature

Applying a consistent naming convention is key to maintaining a well-organized electronic directory and structures. Also, a clear and concise description (i.e. filename) will minimize any guesswork for other users. Other benefits include:

• Easily distinguish different file types
  • File names are easier to browse
  • Retrieval is facilitated for all users (ie. sorting)

Examples
Use case-based by version and date stamped.

Example with file type at end of the file name.
image image

Step 4: Delete User Folders from the System

As of the Winter 2021 release, Global Admins can now delete the “My Documents” folder belonging to a deleted user account.

Step 5: Have a little fun!

Another study has shown that messy desks can make us more creative. The findings suggest that neat, ordered environments make us more likely to conform to expectations and play it safe, while messy ones move us to break with the norm and look at things in a new way.

One way to keep your creative juices flowing is to store your works in progress in a single folder. Once complete, you can move those design files to a public folder for the rest of the organization to consume.

1 Like

These are some really nice suggestions. Thank you.

2 Likes

Good tips which we can apply in the future.

1 Like

Being a bit of a ‘neat freak’, in my time at Prophix I’ve always been a huge proponent of an organized folder structure. One thing I have heard over the years is “we have so many files, it’s hard to know which are used regularly vs which are one-offs or test files that are no longer needed”. My tip for that is to save files, as you access them, in a new structure (similar to what Bryan describes), after 6-12 months (or another timeframe you are comfortable with) any files not moved to the new file structure are purged.

3 Likes

Thank you for the suggestions. Our team has been working with the file type structure for a few years, but I believe we would benefit from switching gears to the use cases structure!

2 Likes

Great tips - currently this “decluttering files in prophix” has been on my to-do list for some time, so I will definitely take these tips into consideration, thank you for sharing!

1 Like

Very good tips and it is on my to do list now.

1 Like

Thanks for the tips. That is very helpful.
Question - will moving where the file is saved, break any report binders and workflows that have those files included in them or will they continue to be linked correctly?

1 Like

not it will not break the link. If you’re not comfortable, you can test with one file and review the impact.

2 Likes

Good Tips! My folders were getting a bit messy so this came at the right time!

1 Like

I’m so happy to finally delete User folders for terminated employees!

1 Like

interesting suggestions…I like the idea of “Spring cleaning”

1 Like

The folder structure by use case is an excellent method. We are just coming out of our first year and still cleaning up from implementation. I have found that what works for development is not always intuitive for the end users.
Another tip, as an Administrator I have found it helpful to hide some of the folders in the Public area using permissions to remove clutter for my Standard and Reporting users.

1 Like

That’s a great tip. Next month, I’ll be continuing the topic of “Document Explorer” and how we can continue to work efficiently - stay tuned! :wink:

I appreciate the suggestions. Finding a scalable solution is always a challenge. I would love to see a unique Prophix generated ID associated to each process, data view, template, etc. This would allow for a guaranteed way of finding a printed/emailed report later on (if the ID is listed on the report). Sometimes reports get copied with the same name and dropped into a different folder.

1 Like

I’ve seen customers put a unique identifier in front of each document so it’s sorted in a special manner. You can also tag your files - more info can be found on next month’s tip.

Great tips. We definitely need to clean up our folder structure. Far too many unused files and folders.

Everything was excellent until #5. I’m not sure what he meant about creativity. I think that is against the rules for an acccountant? :slight_smile:

Thank you for doing these on a monthly basis !

This is very helpful. Very practical tips on how to organize our content effectively.

1 Like